Thursday, November 29, 2012

Waking up in the Woods!



I woke up in the woods this morning! My woods – the woods I never tire of exploring, who’s nooks and crannies are as familiar to me as the rooms of our home. I think people who don't know the woods very well sometimes imagine it as a kind o
f undifferentiated mass of greenery, an endless continuation of the wall of trees they see lining the road as they zoom past. And I think they wonder how the woods could hold anyone's interest for very long, being all so much the same.

But the truth is I have a list of a hundred places on the Island I haven't been yet. Wooded shorelines to wander; ponds I've never seen in the winter (I've seen them in the summer - but that's a different pond), and forests deep in the interior to explore. My list gets longer every year and doubtless it will grow until the day I die. So many woods - so little time.

But today I woke up in the woods! And I AM SO VERY THANKFUL FOR my woods!
 
 

No comments: