Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Month of Thanksgiving - November 25, 2012


“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” ― William Arthur Ward

I was the child no one wanted for a student. Obstinate. Opinionated. Curious. Well-read beyond my years. Front and center, hand raised high on every question - questioning the questions along with the answers. I came to understand at a very young age that there was so much to learn and so little of what I wanted to know being taught within the confines of the many schools and classrooms I was relegated to endure.

I have, however, been blessed to have had some really great teachers in my life. My Great-grandmother – who taught me to be a Wilds; my Grandfather’s mistress, Nora – who taught me that books are the quietest and most constant of friends; my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Johnson – who taught me that my curiosity was a thing of beauty to be cherished, nourished and admired; my first college professor Dr. Shuman – who encourage me to stretch myself beyond any and all external limits; and philosopher/author Parker J. Palmer – who taught me we teach who we are. That good teaching cannot be reduced to technique – great teaching comes from the identity and integrity of the teacher.

TODAY I AM THANKFUL FOR all the GREAT teachers in my life that valued and shared their sense of identity and integrity with me.

No comments: