Thursday, April 1, 2010

Song for the Island . . .




Out 'round the Island on warm afternoons

Old men go fishing with black line and spoons

And if they catch nothin' they never complain

I wish I were with them again.



As boys in their boats call to girls on the shore

Teasin' the ones that they dearly adore

And into the evening the courting begins

I wish I were with them again.


CHORUS:

Can you imagine a piece of the universe

More fit for queens or for kings?

I'll give you ten of your cities

For Drummond Island and the pleasure it brings.


Out on the Island on soft summer nights

Bonfires blaze to the children's delight

They dance round the flames singin' songs with their friends

I wish I were with them again - - -



And over the ashes the stories are told

Of witches and werewolves and old Island gold

Stars over Whitney Bay sparkle and spin

I wish I were with them again.


CHORUS

Out on the Island the people are kind

They treat you like fam'ly and help you unwind

And if you come broken they'll see that you mend

I wish I were with them again - - -


Now I'll conclude with a wish you go well

Sweet be your dreams and your happiness swell

I'll leave you here for my journey begins

I'm going to be with them again.

I'm going to be with them again,

.


Adapted by Candis Collick from "Song for the Mira," by Allister MacGillivray

No comments: