Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ode to Golf . . .



In my hand I hold a ball

White and dimpled, rather small

Oh, how bland it does appear,

This harmless looking little sphere.

By his size I could not guess

The awesome strength it does possess;

My life has not been quite the same

Since I chose to play this game.

It rules my mind for hours on end.

A fortune it has made me spend.


It has made me curse and cry

I hate myself and want to die

I am promised a thing called ‘par’

If I can hit it straight and far.

To master such a tiny ball

Should not be very hard at all.

But my desires the ball refuses

And does exactly as it chooses

It hooks and slices, dribbles, dies

and disappears before my eyes.



Often it will have a whim

To hit a tree or take a swim.

With miles of grass on which to land

It finds a tiny patch of sand.

Then has me offering up my soul

If it will just drop in the hole.

Its made me whimper like a pup,

and swear that I will give it up

And take to drink to ease my sorrow.


But “The Ball” knows...

I’ll be back...tomorrow.


Poem courtesy of The 19th Hole




The Drummond Island Township course located just off Townline Road is a 9-hole par 35 course with affordable rates. It was built in the early 1960s and is similar to the old style English courses. It offers a unique feature; there is an airport runway that runs along the side of the par 3 # 4. Where else can you have airplanes and deer as obstacles? The course not only has 9-holes for you to enjoy but they also offer a driving range, practice putting green and pro shop. There are carts available to rent as well. You can call the course and make a tee time 906-493-5406. The course opens in the spring and is closed mid-fall.


No comments: