Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Error . . .

The Great Circumnavigation Adventure!


"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
- Douglas Adams

If one sets out to navigate the waters surrounding Drummond you should always be mindful of the fact that perspective changes and what is familiar from land is not always so clearly recognized from the cockpit of a low riding kayak. 


There are no excuses for what happened. And despite what others may think, I feel the events of the past 24 hours played a part in the scene that played out on the first leg of our voyage.

The stage had been set and our destiny sealed. We paddled to Canada. It was meant to be. The sirens of Wheeler Reef called and we didn't resist. They laid in wait singing song for song.



And we paddled on! 


It was the first gust of the day that startled me awake. Had me call out to Nella that we were in the open waters of False DeTour Passage and closing fast on Wheeler Reef and Kichener Island! 


No big deal! Really. To fear is one thing.  To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another. We simply regrouped and headed back towards Drummond and a point just north of Bass Cove. 

Our adventure had begun! 




No comments: